Tuesday, October 3, 2017

The New Old West~

       Horrific things are always happening and it's the same vicious cycle, the same rhetoric.  Good people empathize all around, but it continues.  The thing is, these attacks don't surprise me anymore, nor have they in a long time.  It's a commonplace occurrence in the USA, which is a tremendously terrible thing.  It's gotten to the point where one has heard the news so many times they can find themselves remotely detached, even finding themselves growing calloused.
        When I heard the news, I reacted with no surprise- it's when I found out the extent of this one, some actual surprise set in.  I dislike the majority of the news and don't really want to be a news commentator here on this blog- everyone everywhere is already always commenting about everything- trying to say something- something that seems futile- and I couldn't say it any better or find another point to make, so I will often stay silent on the matter, at least in the social media world- it's already flooding.  Instead I just read and read and think and think.  I don't feel like speaking without some action to back it up... and that leaves you wondering what you could possibly change. 
          Really, it must be worse than the Old West, seeing as how they didn't have automatic rifles back then.  I'm sick of so much of this shit everywhere, needless to say.  For the longest time, I walk down American (USA) streets with my eyes peeled, watching my back, half-ready to duck at the last second.  Watching the cars that pull around the corner when I'm one of the few walkers on the street.  It's a non-stop war, and I carry no gun.  Certainly it's not on my mind all of the time, because many Americans are peace-loving, but it still will cross my mind it's quite a possibility that I will catch a stray bullet somewhere.  So if politicians with hollow prayers aren't going to protect you, keep up your guard.
          And where are all of these 2nd amendment gun-toting heroes protecting everyone when the psychopaths break loose?  And the media... spreading the killers' faces and giving them the fame they desired- they should lay lower on the pictures.
         I feel more unsafe walking the streets in the USA than most any other country.
         This is a recent chart just drawing you a picture plain as day.
         This surely isn't what I felt like blogging about but when I checked the news and scrolled the feeds the whole world is just absorbed in this, so I didn't feel like going on about something else and changing the subject.
        Surely, there is something to do.  There's ALWAYS something to do or say: whether it's effective or not.  It's more than doing nothing, though.  This country should probably take a clue from Australia.
        And in other breaking news, RIP Tom Petty.  I'm not claiming I grew up with his albums in my collection but I always thought he was cool and, yes, I was prompted to jam him tonight on the occasion of his passing.  So many classics, really, and I bet I will be exploring it more, even if it took me til now.  I don't think any musician is going to object to you playing their songs through the air on the day they go.  We all want that, eventually.
        Below is a petition, whatever it can do, and now I will leave this blog silent until next week...

Petition:

No comments:

Post a Comment